Let Them Eat Candy???
By contactus
November 03, 2010
Category: Oral Hygiene
Tags: Candy  

Brush FIRST and then let them eat their Halloween candy. This is a new concept in cavity control that is contrary to common thought, which would be to brush your teeth after eating sugar. Because the acidic period where teeth go through demimeralization following the consumption of candy lasts about 40 minutes, it's a good idea to hold off on that instant brushing. During an acid attack your teeth are losing minerals and are vulnerable to abrasion from mechanical wear from the toothbrush and/or any sort of abrasive toothpaste products. Brushing prior to sugar consumption also reduces the bacteria that cause acid production.

Kids shouldn't save their candy and eat five pieces a day for the next 6 months. It would be better to have their fill on Halloween night and you could get rid of the rest. If they are going to have candy every day after Halloween for the next couple of months then make it once per day, not three pieces a day morning, noon and night.

Actually, using some xylitol before and after sugar consumption is always a good Idea!

See full article at: http://dentalproductsreport.com/articles/show/dpr1010-we_candies?

More on Xylitol in a future BLOG.....

Comments:






Our Location